Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Additional Reflections

I've said just about all I have to say in response to John Berry's attack on Annoyed Librarian and myself. Before I move on to far more important topics, a few final thoughts:

-In the comments section of Berry's post, Kathleen de la Pena McCook goes off on a totally unhinged multi comment rant directed at AL and myself. After Stephen Denney pointed out that I do, in fact, blog under my own name, McCook retracted her comments as far as they were directed towards me. Annoyed Librarian has since posted a response of her own.

-In his comment, Stephen said that I am an Iraq War veteran. I am extremely grateful for his support, but this is not correct. I am a soldier in the Army National Guard, but have yet to deploy to Iraq or Afghanistan. I have noted this in Berry's comments section.

-In her latest post, Annoyed Librarian says the following about me:

First, the obvious. As one of the other commenters points out, Heretical Librarian isn't anonymous. He's a brave soul who says what he believes and doesn't have the bullhorn of the Library Journal or the security of being a "distinguished" professor.

Again, while I deeply appreciate the sentiments and thank AL for her support, I do need to take issue with her description of me as "a brave soul". The numerous active and reserve component soldiers who have risked their lives in Iraq or Afghanistan are brave souls. People like Rafiq Tagi or Abdul Kareem Nabeel Suleiman, who risk imprisonment or death for expressing their views, are brave souls. I risk nothing more than having mean things said about me on web sites, not quite the same thing. Besides, my job situation is secure enough.


Anyway, time to get back to more important matters.

1 Comments:

Blogger Robert M. Lindsey said...

Good of you to set the record straight and very good of you to recognize who the brave souls are. Hats off.

4:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home