Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Banning Cartoons in the Maritimes

About a year ago, the Danish Mohammed Cartoons controversy was at its height. As my long-time readers know, I was otherwise occupied at the time. So, I've been playing catchup as far as the truly global impact of these events.

One incident that has previously escaped my attention occurred in the most unlikely of places: Prince Edward Island, located in the heart of Canada's Maritime Provinces.

Last February, the student newspaper at the University of Prince Edward Island decided to run the Danish Mohammed Cartoons. The CBC explains what happened next:

The University of Prince Edward Island's student newspaper has published cartoons of the Prophet Muhammad that have sparked violent protests in other parts of the world.

Two thousand copies of The Cadre were distributed on campus Wednesday, but university administration ordered them removed. Officials say the cartoons have already caused enough violence around the world.


(Emphasis added-DD)


Here is how UPEI's president justified his decision to ban the cartoon issue of the newspaper:

But university president Wade MacLaughlan says publishing the cartoons is "an invitation to trouble.

"We still run the property," MacLaughlan says, "and we're not in the business of deliberately inviting people to be insulted to the point of causing an outrage."



This has to be one of the most pathetic examples of craven capitulation I have ever heard of. What a great way to tell Islamists that rioting and murder get results. Unbelievable!


The only reason I'm aware of this blatant instance of fear induced censorship is because of an anonymous blog named DontAxe. The site contains a number of readings and background documents on the UPEI cartoon issue, and is well worth a look. My thanks to DontAxe's proprietor for e-mailing me to let me know about the site, and about this incident.

1 Comments:

Blogger Mrs Sharon Sim said...

I’m Charles David by name, i want to use this medium to alert all loan seekers to be very careful because there are scam everywhere, Few months ago I was financially strained, and due to my desperation I was scammed by several online lenders. I had almost lost hope until a friend of mine referred me to a very reliable lender called Dr Purva Pius ( A God fearing man) who lend me a loan of $237,000 under 72 working hours without any stress. I explain to the company by mail and all they told me was to cry no more because i will get my loan from this company and also i have made the right choice of contacting them i filled the loan application form and proceeded with all that was requested of me and to my shock I was given the loan, If you are in need of any kind of loan just contact him now via: {urgentloan22@gmail.com}

4:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home