Monday, September 25, 2006

One Year Ago

September 26, 2005 was a momentous day in my life. For one thing, it was the day that I spent 11 fun filled hours at the Military Entrance Processing Station in Raleigh, culminating in the oath to "bear true faith and allegiance" to the Constitution. Thus, I officially became a member of the Army National Guard.

So you can imagine how weird it felt when my recruiting sergeant dropped me off at work that evening, only for me to find out that my 15 seconds of notoriety in the library profession had begun. For that was the same day that my "now infamous article", as Greg McClay called it, appeared on the Chronicle of Higher Education web site. Click on the links below to relive the magic:


-"The Loneliness of a Conservative Librarian" (From the September 30, 2005 issue of the Chronicle of Higher Education).

-My September 2005 archives.

-I posted this response to some of the criticisms of my article on October 3rd.

-Finally, the fun isn't complete without a visit to the Chronicle's forum on my article.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Been meaning to ask you for the source for the statistic you quoted in the article on the number of Conservatives in the library field? Even with the profession the way it is, the figure of one ouf of 200, or something like that, seems too far off the bell curve to be true. It also doesn't ring true when you consider the number of silent Conservatives in the profession, who keep quiet to keeep thier jobs or just to keep peace at the workplace?

Walter

6:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bravo! I hadn't read your "infamous article" before and I applaud you for bravery in writing it.
From another closeted conservative librarian

6:16 PM  
Blogger Dave said...

Thanks for the comments. The David Brooks stat comes from
this September 11, 2004 column
.

8:28 PM  
Blogger Maggie Goff said...

David, I read your article a few months after it was published. I can't remember how I found it, but yikes was it a breath of fresh air. And then when I found out you had a blog, man oh man, I was in heaven. But...that was right when you stopped posting because you went to basic. And I thought, yikes, this guy really has the courage of his convictions. And thank goodness you also posted some links to other conservative librarians, so I didn't feel so alone. I'm only a library assistant, but still feel the effects of the slant toward leftism. And I live in a really blue town. You saw the periodicals to which we subscribe. (grin) Anyway, just want to thank you again for walking your talk. Looking forward to seeing you again.

11:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was such a great piece for The Chronicle of Higher Education you wrote. You're an important voice in the field. Thanks for having the courage to do all that you do.

3:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home