Friday, November 04, 2005

Week 2 of Drill

Tomorrow morning, I go off to my second weekend of pre-basic National Guard drill. Since there actually seems to be some interest in my Guard misadventures, I'll post a recap on Sunday. In the meantime, I'll leave you with the story of a 39 year old recent Army Reserve enlistee who puts my physical preparations to shame:

The recruiter, on the other hand, saw a different picture. He took one look at Evans and said, "You're just too big."

At 5 feet, 7 inches and 418 pounds, Evans could hardly disagree.

But instead of easing the rejection with his usual overdose of comfort foods, he went on a weight-loss crusade. Fueled by sheer willpower and a determination to join the military, the 36-year-old finally conquered a lifelong battle with his weight. Three years and 230 pounds lighter, Evans again saw a recruiter. This time, he was met with a much different reception.

"He had me come down to his office for a (fitness) test," said Evans, now 39 years old and a svelte 165 pounds. "I passed with flying colors and signed up for the Reserves on the spot."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home