Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Reactions to the Chronicle Article

So far I've received about 20 e-mails in response to my Chronicle of Higher Education piece on being a conservative librarian, plus a number of comments on this thread. Surprisingly, all have been positive. I have been especially gratified by a number of messages from moderate or liberal librarians who differ with me on several issues yet agree about the negative impact of the politicization of our profession. Apparently, the overall response to the article has been respectful, for which I am very appreciative.

If I have one complaint, it's with the way that the Chronicle has chosen to promote the piece. Here's one example:

“The more his colleagues within the American Library Association declare their leftist views, the more David Durant feels left out.”

Please, that makes me sound like I'm miffed about not getting picked for Dodgeball. Still, it's a small concern. In fact, the Chronicle actually solicited the article, and I'm grateful to them for the opportunity.

Sometime later, I'll post a snippet of some of the responses I've received, with the permission of the authors. In the meantime, thanks to everyone who has taken the time to read the article, and especially those who have taken the time to share their reactions.

6 Comments:

Blogger Norma said...

I linked to it. A good article. My generalist readers may be surprised to find out what's going on above all those sensible shoes.

9:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I too was disgusted when I read about the ALA screening of M. Moore's film; Goebles would have been right at home.
Your article was a pleasure to read. As a Conservative librarian, in library land for over 30 years, I fully agree that ALA has purposly moved Moore and Moore to the left. ALA made the decision some years ago to NOT become a labor organization. To bad they could not resist left leaning politics, as well.

11:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

David,

A link to your article was posted to my library school's listserve with this comment:

"Here is a read for all the isolated, self-conscious right of center librarians. Just a little effort to make the SLIS-listserv Fair and Balanced, just like FoxNews. ;-)"

Thank you for speaking up on behalf of all librarians who aren't enamored with every liberal cause out there - and don't feel that we've misplaced our brains, either (as is sometimes implied about moderate or conservative library professionals).

Marsha S. Hinnen
MLIS '97

1:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ALA has been politicizing and politicized long before your 1991- year in Library School - It was well evident in my 1975-year in Library School. I let my membership lapse some 20 years ago. To my shame, I've let that be my sole political comment.

Since I consider myself a libertive-conserveral, I've not found (thank God) a group of like-minded librarians to join. Perhaps ALA, like any monolithic entity, needs some 'competition' - like an association of unlabeled librarians who can stay focused on librarianship.

When I discuss my political views, I am acting as a citizen of a free society, not as a librarian. Interesting how many librarians would never think of giving legal/medical advice during a reference interview but proseletizing their political views is somehow exempt from this rule.

2:29 PM  
Blogger Oyarsa said...

As a fellow conservative librarian, it's nice to be "in touch" with another member of an endangered species of librarianship. I'll be reading your blog on a more regular basis.

Have I permission to link to your blog from my own main blog? (http://oyarsa.blogspot.com)

8:00 PM  
Blogger Susan Payne said...

Hey Dave,

Good to see an SI alum in the Chronicle!

Great article and I agree that our profession is over politicized. I've sat through some uncomfortable meetings where colleagues start bashing conservative view points without any thought to who else is in the room.

Politics are best left at home. We avoid them at dinner parties if we are wise, but can't stay away from them at work. Doesn't make sense to me.

Susan

12:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home