Sunday, October 31, 2004

Final Election Thoughts

As we come to the end of this seemingly endless campaign, just a few personal reflections. Based on the overall trend of the polls, I think Bush has a slight edge. I'm no political or polling expert, so that's all the analysis you'll get from me.

As those of you who read me regularly have probably deduced by now, I'm a single issue voter, and that issue is the War on Islamist Terror. I believe that George W. Bush, has done a good job of waging that war, and should be reelected. That's not to say that he hasn't made mistakes. It would be unique in the annals of history had he not made mistakes in waging this war. Overall, though, Bush understands the necessity of prosecuting this conflict and what it will take to win it. I will amplify these points in a much longer post today or Monday.

I believe that John Kerry is a decent, patriotic American who will do his best to act in what he sees as America's best interests. Unfortunately, I also believe that his instincts, temperament, and beliefs will prevent him from conducting the War on Islamist Terror with the necessary vigor and determination, at least not until it's too late. Once again, I will amplify these points in an upcoming post.

At this point, I find myself completely sick of this election campaign and simply want it to end. As messy and annoying as the process is, however, it is infinitely preferable to the alternative of not having elections.

I obviously want President Bush to be reelected. Regardless of who wins, though, I hope that the issue is decided Tuesday night, without lengthy court battles and endless controversy. Also, whether Bush or Kerry is in the White House for the next four years, I pray that we can begin to put the bitter partisanship of the last few years behind us. If John Kerry is elected, I will do my best to support him when he does the right thing, and to be fair and responsible when I do criticize him.

Obviously I have my point of view, and this blog is my vehicle for expressing those views to whomever cares to read them. I have tried to be thoughtful and responsible in how I express my beliefs. I fear that I have not always succeeded. Particularly, I might have been a little bit snarky in tone over the last couple weeks, especially in a couple responses to comments. I very much regret this and apologize to anyone I may have offended.

Thanks to all of you who have taken the time to read what I have to say. I hope that what I have written has been in some way interesting and informative. Please remember to vote on Tuesday for the candidate of your choice.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home