Sunday, June 20, 2004

Music Video Blogging

Just wanted to take a break from "serious" blogging to focus on something completely trivial. There's nothing quite like blogging while watching VH-1 Classic. The station shows an eclectic mix of videos from the 70's, 80's, and early 90's. Basically, the videos that used to be shown on MTV and VH-1 back when they actually showed videos, before the latter became the "boomer nostalgia" channel, and before MTV became the "destroyer of teenage brain cells" channel. Personally, I would prefer to see "MTV Classic", which would focus on the decade from New Wave to Grunge, leaving the softer stuff to VH-1 Classic. In other words, duplicate the original relationship between the two networks.

I mean right now, they're showing a Jackson 5 video! Nothing against the Jackson 5, but they're not the reason why I'm watching VH-1 Classic. Beyond some slight curiosity value in seeing Michael Jackson as a child, before he became what he is today, I'm just not interested. The main reason I do watch VH-1 Classic is nostalgia. I want to see the videos I saw when the wonder known as MTV first arrived on my television screen. Damnit, I want Flock of Seagulls, Wall of Voodoo, Prince, Tears for Fears, U2, etc. In other words, the stuff I grew up with. Hell, I even appreciate seeing stuff like Van Halen, Cindi Lauper, Huey Lewis, etc., again for nostalgia value if nothing else. While VH-1 Classic certainly shows a lot of those videos, too often they're surrounded by lame 70's music, cheesy pop, or things that I had simply never heard of, for good reason. Even when they do show bands I like, the choice of video is bizarre. For example, they show a Rainbow video for some song I've never heard of, yet they refuse to show the videos for "Stone Cold", "Power", or "Street of Dreams".

In other words, I'm tired of being forced to piggyback off of baby boomer nostalgia. Gen X'ers like myself deserve our own video music outlet, showing only the videos we grew up with. Let the boomers have VH-1 Classic, give us our own channel. You could even hire Martha Quinn and company as the VJ's, to make things complete. I want my MTV Classic!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home