Monday, June 07, 2004

Idiotarianism defined

When I created this blog, I did so in order to have a chance to express my views in a way that I simply don't feel comfortable doing among the majority of my professional colleagues and acquaintances. The name I chose for this blog is a pretty good indication of that. One thing I do not want to do is engage in mindless liberal or leftist bashing. I have only so much time to blog as it is, and I want to spend that time expressing my own beliefs and interpretation of events in as thoughtful a way as possible. The political discourse is debased enough in this country, especially in the online environment. Besides, the right sadly provides its own share of stupidity. Now there will be one or two well earned exceptions to this policy (*cough*Michael Moore*cough*). For the most part, though, I want this blog to be about issues and to take the high road.

Unfortunately, via Instapundit, I came across this piece in the Village Voice that so boggles the mind in its vileness and stupidity that I can't help but comment:

No U.S. president, I expect, will ever appoint a Secretary of the Imagination. But if such a cabinet post ever were created, and Richard Foreman weren't immediately appointed to it, you'd know that the Republicans were in power. Republicans don't believe in the imagination, partly because so few of them have one, but mostly because it gets in the way of their chosen work, which is to destroy the human race and the planet. Human beings, who have imaginations, can see a recipe for disaster in the making; Republicans, whose goal in life is to profit from disaster and who don't give a hoot about human beings, either can't or won't. Which is why I personally think they should be exterminated before they cause any more harm.


So, Republicans, in the view of the author, Michael Feingold, are enemies of the human race who need to be exterminated. Not wrongheaded political adversaries to be voted out of office, but enemies to be exterminated. At the risk of invoking Godwin's Law, I cannot help but compare this to the way Jews were spoken of in the Third Reich. When writers in well known publications start using the language of genocide when referring to political opponents, then you know that there is something seriously wrong with political discourse in this country.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home